Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY Felt Headbands

Last weekend I suddenly decided I needed to make a Christmas headband for my little girl.  (She is just to the age where she will wear headbands again without pulling them off.) 

I had seen some really cute ones online, and I am literally swimming in felt - so I thought, "I'll just try it, if it turns out bad - oh well, I didn't lose much." hahaha

I went to the dollar store and got a pack of cheap, thin headbands that are all different colors, so I decided to make a couple.  I made a black, white and silver one to go with one of her other dresses, and a pretty red one to go with her Christmas dress.

They turned out pretty good! I am surprised! I thought maybe they would look really cheesy and homemade - and maybe to some of you experienced accessory-makers, they do. :)  Oh-well, just humor me and pretend they look professional, okay?


Okay, here is the first one.  Do you like my model? hahaha  Her name is Miss Jenny.  I pulled her out of storage to model my headbands. :)

I looked all over online and could NOT find where I got this tutorial - seriously.  Basically, you trace a circle and then cut it out in a wavy shape.  Then, you cut a spiral toward the center, keeping your wavy shape and then roll it up tight, using your glue gun every so often.  There are tons of tutorials if you just search for "felt rosettes".

The only things I did differently were:
1.  I used a lighter to singe the edges, so it gives it a little more dimension.
2.  I glued a little silver bead into the center of each rosette.

Here is the back:

I glued each flower directly to the headband, and then glued another piece of felt to the back of that, to give it more stability.

Here is a picture of my little princess wearing it:


Okay, here is the red one I made for her Christmas dress:


I got the tutorial for this one here.  I took a lighter to this one, too. :D 


It started out looking like this, and then I just kept thinking it needed something more.  So I added a little bit of tulle to the bottom:

I just cut about 4 circles out, gathered them in the middle, made an X and wrapped thread around that, then made another X, and wrapped thread around that, too.  Then, I just hot-glued that to the flower.

I attached this flower the same way I did the black and white one.  Glued it to the headband, and then attached another piece of felt to that underneath.

I wanted it to look a little more Christmas-sy you know, with striped ribbon or some green - but in the end I decided she would be able to wear this more often.

Well, I hope that this makes sense. :)  These really are super fun to make, I might just have to do lots more styles and colors!

Thanks a bunch!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Simply Tasheena said...

Very creative!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Jodi@ underthegeorgiasun.com said...

I'm addicted to making rosettes and felt flowers. I just got in some elastic for headbands and hope to start creating soon.

I LOVE yours! So cute!

cv writing service said...

It looks easy and worth trying, going to make it by myself and hope that I will do as good as you did. Thank you for sharing this post and keep posting more such posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...