Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

DIY "Telestrations" Game

Have you ever played the game Telestrations? It's really fun, but I decided to customize it a little and make my own. No need to buy it - but if you want, these booklets can also be used as an add-on so that more people can play. Bonus!! :)


I made enough different patterns that you can play with up to 12 people! Of course you can always just pick one design and make them all the same. It's up to you. :)


Here's the basic idea: It's basically a mix between "Telephone" and "Pictionary". Each player plays simultaneously, passing the booklets along to the next player after each round. When the booklet gets to you, you are either going to "Sketch It" or "Guess It". When everyone gets their starting booklets back, you see how closely the end guess matches the secret beginning word. It's really funny, because everyone has their own interpretations.

You can use the cards from Pictionary, or Apples to Apples, or to make it EXTRA fun - make up your own phrases! Make sure to have a noun, a place, and a verb. For example: Elvis wake boarding in Mexico, or a nun smelling flowers in the park. Whatever. 

Write that on the first page where it says: Secret Word. Pass the booklet to the player on the left. When everyone has their neighbor's booklet, read the word or sentence and start drawing on the next page - Sketch It. Everyone has 1 minute. When the time is up, pass the booklet on to the player on the left. This time when everyone gets a booklet, they look at the drawing and make their guess on the following page. (The page that says: Guess It.) Be sure to WRITE your guess and not draw it.You don't need a timer for this. When everyone is done, continue to pass to the person on the left. This time you are back to drawing what is written - make sense? 

You should end each booklet on a Guess It page. This way you can match it up to the secret word and see how close, or how messed up everyone got! It really is a lot of fun. ;)

It's fun to see what everyone guessed, but if you really want to keep score, just give 1 point to the player with your favorite sketch, and 1 point to the player with your favorite guess. And give yourself 1 point if the end guess matches the original secret word or phrase. You can keep a tally on the front page of the book if you want.

Here are the different pages for the booklets. I just copied them into Microsoft Word, and shrunk them to the size I wanted. (I think they were 3.5 x 3.5 or close to it.) I got about 4 to a page. I printed them onto cardstock, cut, laminated, and punched holes to add key rings. You should be able to use regular dry erase markers on them & they wipe off really well.




























Assembling the booklets:
Each booklet gets one cover page, and one Secret Word page. Then depending on how many you are making, do equal number of the Sketch It and Guess It pages. 
Example: I made 12, so I needed 6 Sketch It pages and 6 Guess It pages.

This is how my booklet went: 
Cover page
Secret Word page
Sketch It
Guess It
Sketch It
Guess It
Sketch It
Guess It
Sketch It
Guess It
Sketch It
Guess It
Sketch It
Guess It

Make sure you start on a Sketch It page and end on a Guess It page! That's pretty much it!

These would make great Christmas gifts! I am bringing mine to play with the whole family at Thanksgiving. (One reason I made so many.) When it's just my little family at home, I can use only 4. I love that you can customize it this way! 

Let me know how these work out for you, and what you think. :)

Have fun! Thanks for stopping by! 
Photobucket

15 comments:

kim said...

THANK YOU!!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this! I was wanting to make my own and this is perfect. Question: what size rings did you buy for the booklets?

Burton Fam said...

Um, this is Amazing! Thank you so so much!

Anonymous said...

this is fantastic! i was wondering if you could tell me about how much it was for you to print and laminate everything. i think i am going to make this for baby shower that i am hosting. also, didnt know if you printed on the cardstock or how you did it. this is my first DIY project so forgive me if my questions are a little silly. Hope that you still check this! Thanks again and look forward to hearing back from you!

Beth said...

I just copied/pasted the little pictures (posted above) into a word document so there were a bunch on one page. Then I printed them on white card stock. I have a laminator, so I just had to buy the laminating pages (like $5 at Walmart) and the rings were in a big pack for a couple bucks. I'm not sure how much it would cost to get the pages laminated somewhere but I imagine it would be pretty inexpensive.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the baby shower! :)

Anonymous said...

Did you laminate and then cut, or cut, laminate, cut again?

Anonymous said...

hi! what kind of markers do you use which can be erased? do you use a sponge for the eraser? thanks in advance for your answer!

Beth said...

I use dry-erase markers. You can find them pretty much anywhere. I like to get a big pack with lots of different colors. Thin tip works best. As far as cleaning, you can use napkins, a soft cloth, or even toilet paper to erase them. If they start to stain the pages too much, the Magic Eraser to make it look like new! :) Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for my classroom! Btw, where did you get your backgrounds? I have Word 2013 and their backgrounds are small print.

Beth said...

I'm pretty sure I just googled some cute backgrounds and then made the rest with picmonkey. If you haven't tried picmonkey - it's awesome!!! I make EVERYTHING on there! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

Brilliant, what ring size should I get?

sayfuzzypickles said...

Thanks for this!! I googled how to make a DIY of telestrations and this was better than I imagined!

Paula said...

This is wonderful, thank you! I made these for my daughter's 4th grade Valentine's party. I numbered the pages with sharpie so we can all be on the same page (who knows with 9/10 year olds). I also used a piece of cardboard to make the whole punches the same (I punched two holes in the cardboard and then held each page up to the cardboard and punched).

kylo said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! i'm in charge of my office retreat and have a $0 budget and needed to find a good team-building game. my family played this over holiday last year and it was a blast, so i wanted to make it work for 15+ people. this is excellent and i'm so glad i found it and so so grateful for you sharing this!! really saves me some time on top of the 5000 other things i have to do haha

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Thank you! I was looking for an activity to do with the kids on my missions trip this month to Thailand. My team will be teaching English at the village elementary school. This would be a great activity to do while teaching them English.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...